Saturday, July 9, 2011

Boneless Honey Barbecue Chicken

Boneless Honey Barbecue Chicken - made July 6, 2011 from I Can't Believe It's Not Fattening by Devin Alexander

This is another recipe I made a note of when I checked out this book from the library.  It was exactly the type of easy recipe that I can cook after work without it being a big production.  And, as previously mentioned, I'm adding basil to everything I cook, regardless of whether the recipe calls for it or not.  I prepped my ingredients as directed in the recipe, went down to my garden and snipped off a handful of basil leaves.  Despite my having ruthlessly cut them to give a large amount to my cousin for pesto, it looked like half the leaves had grown back overnight so it was time for another trimming.  After I cooked the dish, it looked like it could still stand some more basil so I went back outside again and cut off some more.  That ought to keep the basil at bay.....for another 24 hours.  LOL.

This pretty much tasted like the barbecue sauce I used, albeit a little sweeter because of the honey.  But it was a nice change from the usual plain chicken I eat and hey, I got to use up some basil :).

¼ cup barbecue sauce, preferably with <9 g sugar and <1 g fat per tablespoon
2 tablespoons honey
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
16 chicken tenderloins (about 1 pound), trimmed
Olive oil spray

1.       Combine the barbecue sauce and honey in a small bowl.  Set aside.
2.       Sprinkle the garlic powder, salt and pepper over the tenderloins and toss them to combine.
3.       Place a large nonstick skillet over high heat.  When hot, lightly mist the skillet with spray and add the chicken strips side by side in a single layer.
4.       Cook the strips until they are lightly browned on the outside and no longer pink inside, 2 to 3 minutes per side.  Turn the heat to low.  Pour the reserved barbecue sauce mixture over them and gently stir until they are well coated and the sauce is warm.  Remove the pan from the heat.  Let the wings sit in the pan for 5 minutes and then toss them again (the sauce will stick better after sitting).  Serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! I just purchased some new BBQ sauce and I like boneless chicken, so I may try this recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks tasty and quick! I wanted to let you know about my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete