Thursday, March 2, 2017

Asian-Style Ribs

Asian-Style Ribs - made January 20, 2017 from Off the Shelf by Donna Hay
My mom is a great cook. And it's apparent when she makes ribs. I'm not even going to claim I made these because I didn't. But I'm going to put them up on my blog to capture the recipe in case anyone else wants to make amazingly flavorful ribs.
I don't know how she does it or what tricks she uses to have ribs, no matter which recipe she uses, come out so tender. She says she just bakes it long enough but I've tried that and ended up with chewy, stringy, dry meat on the bone. Hers are fork tender, moist and flavorful. Sigh. Let me assure you that cooking skills are not hereditary.
Fortunately, she shares what she makes with the rest of us so here you go - really good ribs with a simple marinade that imparts great flavor.

3 pounds pork spare ribs

Marinade
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon grated ginger
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/4 cup Chinese rice wine or sherry
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
2 tablespoons sugar

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cut the ribs into individual pieces.
  2. Combine all marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Add the ribs and toss to coat. Reserve the remaining marinade to brush over the ribs while cooking.
  3. Place the ribs on a wire rack in a baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes, then brush with the reserved marinade.
  4. Bake for a further 20 minutes or until well browned and crisp (my mom baked them a little longer to get them more tender).

No comments:

Post a Comment