Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Classic Snickerdoodles

Snickerdoodles - made April 11, 2018 from The Perfect Cookie by America's Test Kitchen
My niece was taking me to the airport for the start of my vacation so I thought it would be a good time to try a new snickerdoodle recipe. I'm still going through The Perfect Cookie from America's Test Kitchen that I got as a gift for Christmas and it was nice to revisit old classics from their point of view.


While I do already have favorite snickerdoodle recipes I fall back on, I figured it couldn't hurt to try something new, especially since the one for oatmeal cookies turned out so well.

These also turned out well, I'm happy to say. It didn't stay as thick as my stand-by recipe but was still respectable, albeit more typical in thickness. The taste was excellent, in no small part because of my loyalty and adherence in using Penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon.

Easy to make, doesn't spread too thin, chewy texture, good flavor - another keeper recipe for snickerdoodles.

2 1/2 cups (12.5 ounces) all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
8 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups (10.5 ounces) granulated sugar, plus 1/4 cup for rolling
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon (I used Penzey's Vietnamese cinnamon)
  1. Whisk flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt together.
  2. Using stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, shortening and 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
  3. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until just incorporated, scraping down sides of the bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour mixture until just combined, about 30 seconds. Portion into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover and chill or freeze for several hours or overnight.
  4. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  5. Combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Roll each dough ball into mixture, coating completely. Evenly space onto baking sheets, placing 2 inches apart. Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until edges are just set and beginning to brown but centers are still soft, puffy and cracked, 10-12 minutes. Let cookies cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment