Monday, June 5, 2017

Disneyland Snickerdoodles

Disneyland Snickerdoodles - made dough April 29, 2017, adapted from Six Sisters' Stuff via Pop Sugar
I don’t know how many dozens of snickerdoodles I baked for my niece’s fundraiser but the majority of her donors donated $25 (the minimum number to score a goodie bag) and she raised $1400. So you can do the rough math.

Because I was making so many snickerdoodles in April (the fundraising period), I seriously depleted my jar of Vietnamese cinnamon and had to do an emergency run to the brick and mortar Penzey’s store (not that) near me for more cinnamon and cream of tartar. Because you can’t make good snickerdoodles without either. I also had some milk to use up and fortunately this particular recipe needed it so that was handy.

This was a good, typical snickerdoodle recipe. I don’t know that it stood out as one of my favorites and it wasn’t quite as good as the Jumbo Snickerdoodle Cookies I’m now officially in love with but these were still delicious. I also brought a plate to work and received compliments on them so you don’t have to take just my word for it.

I also admit, I deviated from my normal taste test cookie and baked a cookie in my new 3.5” cast iron skillet pan as my taste test. It’s so cute! (insert girly baker moment) One normal-sized cookie dough ball in the little skillet makes for an individual-sized dessert that screams “portion control!” So it was cute and diet-friendly. Or if a cinnamon-sugary cookie can’t be diet-friendly, it at least wasn’t as diet-enemy as other choices might have been. I left off the vanilla ice cream just to make myself feel all virtuous too.

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

For rolling:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and cinnamon.
  2. Cream butter and sugar together in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and creamy, 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs, milk and vanilla, beating until just combined.
  3. Add dry ingredients and beat until just combined. Do not overmix.
  4. Portion dough into golf-ball-size dough balls, cover and chill or freeze several hours or overnight.
  5. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
  6. In a small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon. Roll dough balls in mixture, coating completely. Evenly space on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake 7-10 minutes or until edges are set and middles no longer look raw. Do not overbake. Cool for several minutes then transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment